Research at UT
En estos momentos nos encontramos trabajando en la implantación del cambio de nombre a Universidad Ana G. Méndez, Recinto de Gurabo en todos nuestros procesos administrativos, académicos y estudiantiles, incluyendo todas las secciones de nuestra página de internet.
Please note we are working on the implementation of changing our name to Universidad Ana G. Méndez, Recinto de Gurabo for all our administrative, academic and student processes, including all sections of our website.
Research Involving Biohazards
Ana G. Mendez University System (AGMUS) has established a biosafety protection program (IBC) to ensure adequate containment of potentially hazardous agents to protect the public, the environment, laboratory staff and researchers. All research or activity involving the use of Recombinant DNA, toxic chemicals, infectious agents, blood, body fluids, cells and tissues that is conducted or authorized under the jurisdiction of Ana G. Méndez University System is subject to review by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC). Approval from the IBC must be obtained before a project can be started. Please refer to the IBC Meeting Calendar for deadlines.
IBC responsibilities include the following:
- Help in the procedure’s development for the possession and use of potential biohazardous materials.
- Monitor chemical, microbiological, biological, and radiation safety by reviewing and approving all proposed uses of potential biohazardous materials.
- Review and approve the appropriate use of recombinant DNA in research according to the “NIH Guidelines on Recombinant DNA Molecules”.
- Monitor handling, storage and disposal of chemicals, and biomedical wastes in research, teaching, and biological testing.
- Design, coordinate, and enforce emergency response protocols for accidental spills, leakages, etc.
- Inspect research facilities in order to guarantee that researchers and their staff comply with the laws, rules and regulations that govern scientific research.
If you have any question please contact:
Josefina Melgar, MS.
Tel: 787.743.7979 ext. 4126
Fax: 7787.743.7979 ext. 4275